Sunday, July 22, 2007

Savlon Hunting

I think I'm cursed at times. My time is always spent looking for something that is pretty darn difficult to find or at times just waiting for people. This was what happened to me last Thursday when I was assigned to buy some Savlon Antiseptic Cream for someone who lives in Singapore. How hard can that be eh? According to this person, he has had such a difficult time looking for them in Singapore. Apparently it has been out of stock for quite some time and he needs them for his father in law's wound (apparently he only takes Savlon as the other brands does not heal as effectively). Easy I thought. A visit to a few pharmacies did not bear fruit. What seems like a routine buy turned into Mission Impossible. I went round the city looking for them. Where are things when you need them? Imagine yourself driving around aimlessly for 2 hours looking to buy something that you think you often see but don't buy.

Most of the pharmacists and staff I spoke to told me that they've been waiting quite some time for the stocks to come in. Thoughts came into my mind, were they re-called due to manufacturing defects? About to give up, someone managed to contact a pharmacist that she used to work with and they have 4 tubes left but it's quite far from where I was. In fact she even booked the 4 tubes on my behalf (Wow this is even worse than queueing up to buy Harry Potter's last book). Still determined to buy it off the shelves nearby instead, I spent another hour or so but only managed to find a tube. At last count I think I went to about 15-20 pharmacies before deciding to head off to get it from my friend's contact.


No you can't find them here.


Not here either.


Nah ... not even here.


My last stop. Hooray ... got them finally. The satisfaction is even better than sex.


Savlon Antiseptic - Limited Edition Series Year 2005.

A thing I noticed was the tubes I bought from both pharmacies were actually manufactured in 2005. It seems that Savlon has stopped for some time at least. Can someone care to enlighten me on what's happening? I don't want to go through all this trouble again anytime soon. In the meantime let's just hope DUREX won't run out as well. I don't wanna be a serial condom hunter.

13 comments:

danielhenry said...

... someone's been getting laid... LOLs...

Fei Wen said...

no wonder la....u spend time taking photos of the place u cant find savlon~~~ LOL~~

Jamie said...

this is serious shit bro....Savlon hunting? The last Sav tube in my fridge says manu year 2002...hehehehe.

KA® said...

danielhenry: eh... no manners .. heeheh ... still attached to Men's Health? i spoke to Anna last week and she said u buzzed her recently...

fei wen: eh dun be silly ... those pics were the last few pharmacies i took after 2 hours of searching ... didn't reall bothered at first but i thoguht it would be interesting to write about it.

jamie: still giving the finger to the cops? heheehhe... i'm pretty darn sure something went wrong with the tubes ... try buying them at your lcoal pharmacy ....

May Leng said...

haha ..next time I need to buy something, I know who to ask for a favour !

YinGLaI said...

Heya,

yinglai here, met you once when you dropped by in penang for the marathon thingy...

We're out of savlon as well, ever since some guy bought all our stocks as part of his (many, many units) first aid kits' must-haves... So far, i haven't encountered someone who swears by Savlon and Savlon only :)

:: Nicole :: said...

russ managed to buy salvon at langkawi :p i fell down in a shopping mall and russ went to buy it for me.. think it was like early this year.. hehe.. oh yea, my salvon manufactured in 2005

Prof Emeritus Goreng said...

A short story to share...

One of my friends went hunting around for morning-after pill one fine morning, when pharmacies were not open.

He had to search for it in clinics. After 6 attempts, and many "Takde la", "Apa tu?" and "Doctor takde la" comments,finally he found one with a nurse who understands. By the way, its not labeled as morning-after but something like Postinor.

Nice experience, looks like you have better luck than him. hehe

Anyway, its interesting to see that hunting for an item can be so enjoyable. ;-)

KA® said...

may leng: don't you even think about it ....

yinglai: i remember you!!! i tell you ... the young female pharmacists are all HOT .... just like you .... can't say more ... jerry is giving me the killer look liao ...

:: Nicole :: : well still can't any manufactured after 2005 ...

Prof Emeritus Goreng: i'll leave the hunting to you next time round :)

Stupe said...

confirmed...you can't get savlon cream anywhere in malaysia or singapore anymroe.

not entirely sure why...

but i tell you, savlon is the best antiseptic cream there is!

RobertLee said...

This is the cream I love.
I sense it hard to get it anymore in malaysia.

Robertlee said...

This is the cream I love.
So sad now hardly available in Malaysia.

I wish my friend can find it when she visit Hong Kong. If can I ask her bring me dozen or 2.

SP said...

hi there... wanted to ask u where is the Target Pharmacy located?? i wish to get this Salvon Cream but didnt manage to found it... It a good cream... Thanks..