Saturday, August 18, 2007

Remembering Grandpa ....

Grandpa was born in 1914.... Second eldest out of 5 and the only son, Grandpa had 1 elder sister and 3 younger sisters. Grandpa was an active man in sports and worked in the Government sector. A disciplinarian by nature, Grandpa was strict towards his children and kept close tabs on their progress in life.

I was born when my Grandpa was 64 years old. For 16 years I lived with my Grandparents and they took good care of me, before moving to Subang Jaya with my parents. I could still remember back when I was 10 or 11, Grandpa will always wake me up at 6am in the morning and made sure I was up and ready for school. A cup of hot Milo will be on the dining table and a different variety of food ranging from bread, biscuits or cakes will be my first meal every morning.

Retired and with loads of spare time, Grandpa spends most of his time taking care of myself and my younger sis and once a week takes a bus up Genting to keep himself busy. When I was about 5 or 6, I still remember vividly each time Grandpa comes back from Genting, I'll be standing at the door grill waiting for him around 4pm as he buys the best 'Kai Tan Kous' (Egg Cakes not Tart) for us.

Grandpa always treated me and my younger Sis so well, something which I did not realise or paid too much attention to back then. He will be patiently waiting for us sitting by the door of the house with an umbrella each time we get down from the bus when it rains. He kept our time occupied with games . We played cars, pool and other games that were 'customised' based on our interests. He was also our Self Appointed Teacher as he taught us English and Maths during our homework time. Grandpa also instilled various postive values, beliefs and teaching which I still hold on to until today.

I do get along well with Grandpa but of course there are times when I argued with Grandpa and refuse to talk to him for a few days as I tend to do so when I get mad at people when I was younger. Grandpa will patiently wait till I speak back to him and to this day I still feel bad for being such a brat at times.


For no apparent reason, Grandpa calls me Johnny all the time ... I'm still wondering why I'm called Johnny now.


What Have you Got There? Grandpa always had a sense of humour and will sportingly pose for cameras


Grandpa - With Great Grandchild Kay Li.

Sadly however in May this year, Grandpa passed away. The man whom I've known for 29 years and respects so much is no more. More than 3 months has passed and on the 100th day according to beliefs, the family has to pay a visit and conduct prayers. Located in Semenyih it was an hour's drive from Grandpa's house in PJ.


Grandpa's Resting Place.


Overlooking the hills.

My mind stood blank looking at the skies wondering what happens to us afterlife? If I had a chance to choose a family member for my next life, Grandpa wouldn't be missing on my list :).


Grandpa and Grandma.


Grandpa - 1914 - 2007.

8 comments:

May Leng said...

I never met my grandfathers. you are very fortunate to have time with yours. nothing visible lasts forever. your grandpa will forever be in your heart.

Jamie said...

May His Soul Rst In Peace and God Bless...

Fei Wen said...

life goes on and its great that you cherish the memories.

claudine said...

this entry brought tears to my eyes. family means a lot to me and im one person who wouldnt mind sacrificing my life if that means one of them would live longer.

your grandpa lived a long life and im sure it was a great one. hes in a better place, a better world now. :)

Ginger said...

Sorry to hear about that.

Your grandpa is resting in an absolute gorgeous place now. I believe that my aunt is cremated there as well.

They are both in heaven now, overlooking us younger ones.. =)

KA® said...

may leng: thanks for your comforting words ...

jamie & ginger: thankz...

fei wen: very true

claudine: thank you for your kind comments ....

Mimi said...

hey dear cousin brother, your video clip reminds me of how lucky my daughter & I, to have known and spent some time (the little time that we met Ah Kung & 'Tai Kung'). Thanks for posting the video clips as it brings back good memories when all were together as one :)

Mimi said...

hi dear cousin brother. Your video clip brought back fond memories of the event. Baby kayli and i are fortunate to know Ah Kung & Tai Kung in the little time that we had with ah kung. My daughter is very lucky to have a Tai Kung. Thanks for reminding us of the good time with the clip..all the loved ones were in the short movie :) Rest assured you have done your best for ah kung and is one of ah poh's fav grandson :)